Sunday, December 25, 2011

You've Got to Give It Away

"He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing, acceptance, and joy. They gave me their gifts to take on my journey, our journey, God’s and mine.

And we were off again. He said, “Give the gifts away. They’re extra baggage, too much weight.” So I did, to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light." (From a poem by an unknown author in my first blog entry, "The Bike Ride" )

Six years ago I became a single parent...on paper that is.  Two years prior, I realized my marriage was failing. For a while, all I could do was sit on the couch in my pajamas and stare, trying to figure out if I knew how to clean the house.  Although I joke a lot when I write, I'm being serious when I say that I couldn't figure out how to do the smallest chore. 

Several people stand out in my mind as rocks who gave me something to hold onto so as to keep me from drowning in that horrible, downward spiral that seemed so dark.  My pastor's wife, Debi, recognized my hurt and sadness and shared so many words of wisdom with me that I call to mind today.  My neighbors, Scott and Kelly, were my coaches.  Both my pastor's wife and my neighbors never hesitated to offer me gifts of healing, acceptance and joy.  Sometimes, they were in the form of words, sometimes tears, many times a hug and even though it was hard to come by, there was laughter. While now my neighbors are someone else's neighbors, every time I see them, I am blessed by their generous offerings of the same gifts, only now, there's a whole lot more laughter.

Going to work full-time was a challenge, because I had been at home being mommy for several years.  I had to brush off the bubbles and baby powder and jump back in to e-mails and earning a paycheck.  I was hired full-time in November and Aurie came to work in January.  She quickly became like a sister to me.  She, herself, had plenty of wisdom to share with me...many times it began, and still begins, with "My mama always said..."  God knew exactly what He was doing.  She offered me gifts of healing, acceptance and joy.  She never hesitates to share those gifts with me today. 

I am often amazed at the way God presents me with someone who needs me to share those same gifts with them.  I've been at gymnastics, at the community pool, at church, at work, at school, at the grocery store, and many, many other places, along with phone calls, when many times someone who barely knows me will share their story with me.  While often times I can't imagine why they would be coming to me, when it's all said and done, I realize it's that I've been given special gifts... of healing, acceptance and joy...and it's simply my turn and how could I hesitate to give them away...they are "extra baggage, too much weight.  I find in giving, I receive, and still, our burden is light." 

"And when I'm sure I can't do it any more, He just smiles and says, 'Pedal.'"



No comments:

Post a Comment